Minnesota will hold a Presidential Nomination Primary in March to vote for each major party’s nominee for president.
The Primary is March 3, 2020
- Polling Place hours: 7 a.m to 8 p.m.
- Find your polling place. Visit www.sos.state.mn.us or see a Coon Rapids polling locations map here.
- Absentee voting begins January 17, 2020 at City Hall.
- You may request a mailed ballot by going to www.mnvotes.org or by calling the Anoka County Election Office at 763-324-1300.
- Voters wishing to vote early can place their ballot directly into the voting machine, rather than use absentee ballot envelopes, for one week prior to the primary election. Direct balloting for the Presidential Nomination Primary begins on February 25 at Coon Rapids City Hall or the Anoka County Election Office.
- Only major political parties will participate; each party has its own ballot with only their candidates listed.
- You will be required to request only one party’s ballot when you vote, whether absentee or in-person at your polling place.
- Your ballot will only list nominees for president for the party you requested.
- A record of which party’s ballot you selected will be made available to the major political parties.
- Each major party chair will submit a list of candidates for their party, and will decide if there will be a write-in space on the party’s ballot.
- The presidential nomination primary results will determine Minnesota’s delegates for each major party.
What Happened to the Precinct Caucuses?
- Precinct caucuses and local and state nominating conventions will still take place for other party business.
- Precinct caucuses are meetings run by state political parties. They are the first in a series of meetings where parties may endorse candidates, select delegates, and set goals and priorities (party platform).
- 2020 Precinct Caucuses will be held Tuesday, February 25 at 7 p.m. Caucus locations will be posted at www.mnvotes.org shortly before the caucus date.
Why the Change?
- In 2016, the Minnesota legislature passed a law establishing a Presidential Nomination Primary.
- The State Primary Election will be held August 11, 2020 for offices other than president.
Where to Vote?
Call the City of Coon Rapids Elections Hotline at 763-767-4688