- Employment & Volunteering
- Police Reserves
The Coon Rapids Police Reserve Unit consists of well-trained and dedicated volunteers who are focused on serving the needs of the community. Coon Rapids Police Reserve officers assist the Coon Rapids Police Department throughout the city in staffing and performing many non-enforcement functions.
Non-enforcement duties include working the following types of events and activities (examples but not limited to):
- 4th of July events
- Sporting events, carnivals, fairs, etc.
- Assistance with emergency situations and natural disasters in the community and around Minnesota
The requirements to join the reserve unit are:
- You must be at least 18 years of age and a U.S. citizen
- Possess a valid Minnesota driver’s license with a good driving record
- Possess a high school diploma or equivalency certificate
- Be in good physical condition; no disabilities restricting body functions
- Submit to complete criminal history and background check
- Pass an oral examination by a review board
- Complete a probationary period
- Attend a minimum of 7 out of 10 monthly meetings on the second Sunday evening of each month. (No meetings July and December)
- Work one shift per month, not including monthly meetings (shift may be a volunteer event or compensated function)
More information about the Reserve unit can be found in this document, Coon Rapids Police Reserve Unit (PDF).
All reserves must complete the following training:
- CPR/First Aid certification and must attend annual refresher classes
- Response to Resistance training and must attend annual refresher classes
- Successfully complete the Field Training Program
- Successfully complete the Reserve Academy, usually held on Sunday mornings
Reserves must also follow all department policies and procedures, this includes grooming and uniform requirements, ethics, etc.
How to Apply
If you are interested in joining our Police Reserve program, please check for postings on our employment page. (Applicants must pass a background check to be considered).