Property Appraisal and the "Quintile Review"
State law requires assessors to physically visit each property within their jurisdiction once every five years.
There are approximately 22,000 residential properties in Coon Rapids. During each review period, the City appraisers visit and review approximately one fifth of the properties (about 4,400).
City staff will be working in the designated areas (as noted below in the 2019 Quintile Review Map) from late spring to early fall. Thank you in advance for your cooperation. If you have any questions, you may contact the Assessing Department at 763-767-6446
Quintile Review Map
The 2019 residential quintile review areas are highlighted on the 2019 Quintile Review Map (PDF). The Quintile Review is part of the process to determine January 2, 2020 property values. These are the values that will be used to assess property taxes payable in 2021.
City staff will be working in the designated areas beginning late March and continue through September.
If your home is in the quintile review area this year, here's what you can expect:
- Homeowners will receive a blue postcard approximately 1 to 3 weeks prior to their scheduled visit.
- City staff may or may not ask to conduct an interior inspection of your home. The decision is based on the information we have on file. If an interior inspection is needed, the staff person will typically be inside your home for 5 to 10 minutes and they will walk around the outside of your home. If an interior inspection is not needed, the staff person will only need to walk around the outside of your home and verify the exterior characteristics.
- City staff review characteristics of the property that affect market value such as age, size, quality of construction, basement finish, etc.
- If you are not home when the staff person visits, a blue door hanger with instructions will be left at your door. If the instructions indicate an interior inspection is needed, please call the Assessor's office as soon as possible to set up a time for the staff person to come back.
- City staff will be wearing an official City of Coon Rapids identification badge to identify themselves.