Front Door Program
The Coon Rapids Home Improvement Foundation has provided funding again for 2021.
Applications are accepted online until March 1, 2021. Application link is at the bottom of this page.
Grant recipients will be chosen by lottery on Wednesday, March 10, 2021. Due to evolving public health recommendations surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic, the Front Door lottery event will occur either in person at Coon Rapids City Hall, or virtually on Wednesday, March 10. A decision regarding the final event style will be made by March 1, 2021 and will be communicated on the City website, City social media platforms and on our email subscription list.
The intent of the Front Door Grant Program is to pay a portion of project costs to Coon Rapids property owners who will make certain exterior improvements to the front (street side) of their home, increasing its curb appeal which benefits the entire community. There are no income limits to participate in this program.
Between $1,000 - $5,000. Homeowners must pay at least $4,000 of their own funds to be eligible to receive the minimum grant amount of $1,000 from the City. Grant dollars do not need to be repaid.
Grants will equal either 15% or 25% of the applicant's individual project amounts depending upon the scope of work. If the scope of work includes qualifying projects from both categories, then the grant amount will be determined individually in each category. The combined grant amount must be $1,000 or more to be eligible. Cost of tools will not be eligible for grant dollars.
- 1 to 4 unit buildings, owner-occupied, single family, townhome, twin home, condo.
- Homestead status with Anoka County Property Records.
- Current on Anoka County property taxes.
- Property value is less than $400,000 based on Anoka County estimated property value.
- Projects must include at least one item from the Beautification Project list.
- Projects must be visible from the street in front of the house.
- None of these exterior projects are covered, or will be covered, by an insurance claim.
- None of these exterior projects will be part of a Home for Generations II grant.
- Work cannot begin until the required paperwork has been submitted to the City and a Grant Award Certificate has been provided to the homeowner.
- Applicant was not a Front Door Grant recipient in 2019 or 2020.
Beautification Projects (25% grant)
- Front door, storm door, and/or garage door
- Sidelight windows by front door
- Columns at front door
- Covered front porch
- Brick, stone, or shakes
- Alter roofline on front of house
- Permanent landscaping (includes tree trimming, removal and replacement of overgrown and/or dead items, planting new trees, shrubs, plants and/or flowers) $250 minimum.
- Driveway, sidewalk (repair or replace)
- Window boxes, shutters (add or replace)
- Screening of utility boxes and/or garbage and recycling cans
- Fence (add, repair, or replace)
Basic Projects (15% grant)
- Chimney repair, tuck-pointing, repointing
- Deck - front or side yard - visible from front of house (repair or replace)
- Porch - front or side yard - visible from front of house (repair or replace)
- Retaining wall (repair or replace)
Landscape Architectural Consultation. If landscaping is part of the project, a 2-hour at home consultation is available. Consultations are subsidized by the City and the homeowner pays a $25 co-pay.
Financing. The City has low-interest loans available to help finance the balance of your project. Interest rates range between 1% - 4% with no income limits. For more information on financing options, contact the Lending Center at the Center for Energy and Environment at their website or 612-335-5884.